zondag, mei 28, 2006

A First View of the Dutch Sun

The sky is clearing and I'm seeing sun for the first time. Slept for fifteen hours, including right through the alarm I'd set to make myself get up and find food. I haven't eaten in about twenty-four hours--I'm thinking it's time to fix that situation. Woke up at 6:45 or so and have spent the time since then fooling around on the internet and talking to Lindsay. I really have nothing much to do till work tomorrow--maybe try to find a bike, buy food, work on my incomplete. Finish unpacking my stuff. Check if there's laundry detergent downstairs or if I should buy some while I'm out. Maybe get coffee and sit outside reading a book. Take a shower.

Even the mundane seems exciting here. Grocery shopping? An adventure!

(I'm still nervous about getting around and buying things, even though everyone I've met thus far speaks English--I feel unbelievably guilty being the foreigner counting on everyone being able to communicate with me. I hate living in a country and not speaking the language. It's like I don't deserve to be here because I haven't made the effort to at least try to learn Dutch.)